Oh how I wish that when I was a kid the doctors had removed my tonsils. I used to get tonsillitis so so many times every year. And then did not get it for years. Until March last year. And today. Well technically tuesday.
On tuesday morning I woke up with a sore throat and a headache. I rolled over, grabbed my iPad, and emailed my supervisor straight away to let her know I was not coming in. Then I went back to sleep until roughly 2pm. For the rest of the day I layed in bed with my laptop watching Season one of "Brothers & Sisters". I thought that I just had a cold. Everyone in the lab has been sick, colds have just been spreading like rapid fire. I figured a day in bed would get rid of it and I'd be fine.
Wednesday morning comes around. I wake up, not really feeling any worse, or any better. I decide to go in to the lab, because wednesday is my big experiments day. I did my experiments all day. But I was miserable. My throat hurt so much that speaking to anyone was difficult. My head was thumping big time, and I was just miserable. I actually said to someone during the day that maybe I have tonsillitis, but I kinda blew it off as a joke...it was just a cold. So I get home from the lab at about 6pm and I feel horrible. I ring mum up to tell her that I'm sick, and she tells me that I should ring up the doctor first thing in the morning and make an appointment because I have tonsillitis. However, I go to the uni doctor down here, and so I knew that I could book online...so I did that just that, except at the city surgery, not the uni one, as the uni surgery was all booked out through til next week. When booking online, it gives a little area to write a note as to why you are going to visit the doctor. I filled mine in with something along the lines of:
"I have a sore throat that really hurts when I swallow. My ear also hurts. I have a headache that has not gone away since tuesday morning. Apart from not having a fever, this is exactly what I feel like when I have tonsillitis."
I went to bed on wednesday night feeling miserable, not being able to swallow very well, and noticing that I was producing a ridiculous amount of saliva, because of my swollen and inflamed tonsils, making me need to swallow more, thus aggravating my sore throat even more. I woke up through the night with chills, and then the sweats, and then the chills, and the cycle was just on repeat. Apparently the fever that I said I did not have had set in. I slept in til 10am, which was brilliant. I ate breakfast which was a big struggle because my Cheerios were very rough on my throat. I had begun to feel nauseous as well, because of the fever. I headed off to the doctor at 11:30, for my 11:45 appointment. Surprisingly the doc was running on time (big brownie points for him!!!). I walk in to his office, he asks me what's up, and I say "I think I have tonsillitis". He then tells me that the note that I wrote online the night before was one of the most comprehensive notes he has read, because it was actually really informative. He takes my temperature - I have a fever. He looks at my tonsils, and exclaims at their swollen-ness and the fact that both are covered with a ridiculous amount of pus (gross). He gives me a script for Penicillin and we have a really short chat about what I do, and that he has heard of my supervisor etc etc, and he sends me on my way within 10 minutes.
Eighty-eight dollars later (seventy for the doctor, eighteen for the drugs) I head home, with some soup that I've picked up from Liveat (Chicken and corn - delish), I am drugged up and back in bed still feeling miserable! I think my fever has slowly started to come down, making me feel an awful lot better, but my throat is still super sore, which means that all I want to eat is soup and icecream.
I just took my before-dinner penicillin capsule (which has to be taken 30 minutes prior to eating), am about to change my doona over to one from my spare beds (fresh bedding always helps one sleep better and this is simpler to do than actually change my doona cover at the moment), get dinner ready (ie re-heat my food that I bought from the grocer today, even though it nearly killed me to be out, but I knew it would be better than attempting to cook something) and settle in for another night of watching "brothers & sisters" on the lappy in bed, before another early night.
Pity that I don't get to go to ysa band practice and institute though.
P.S. The coolest thing about my tablets (apart from the whole making me better thing) are that they are bright pink! (Ok, half red and half bright pink!)
12 comments:
naw Milly, get better soon!
70 bucks for the uni doctor?! they used to bulk bill when i was there.
that sucks. i hope you get better before the cousins trip
ouch -hope you feel better soon.
yuck!! so now i take back my walking on the road comment :) Hope you make a speedy recovery in time for mary!!!
OH poor you!! Tonsillitis is awful. Don't come to our house though, Seb and Ben both have gastro, t'was a lovely birthday present.
oh no Camilla. I told the girls and they were sad for you. Get lots and lots of tv watching in... lap it up babe... you will be back to the lab soon! LEt me know if ya need anything, happy to pop to the shop for you. Darbs would be chuffed to know she could help out. xox
oh poor Camilla...sorry to hear that you are sick... i sure hope you are feeling better really soon (12-24 hours and the drugs will kick in for you)..chicken soup is the best thing ...perhaps not the icecream??? but hey that makes your throat feel better...get well soon...nettie kisses and hugs coming your way..XXXXoOOOO
Camilla you poor thing, you sound so miserable! With those pretty pink antibiotics in your system you'll be improving and back to your experiments in no time! xx
Yeah... we know all about tonsillitis in this house - Dad reckons they should be cut out when your born!! lol Hope your feeling better!
you poor thing! Being sick is the worst and what an expensive doctor - youch.
Thinking of you and hope you are feeling better soon.
xxx
Oh that sucks! You must feel so yuk! I hope you feel better soon!! :)
:( Sadness! I read this yesterday, but I was on my phone and I hate commenting using my phone.. ANYWAY, hope you are feeling better today. Tonsilitis is so dumb.. I think they should be cut out when we are born too!! It makes you SOO tired, and you want to die pretty much!!!
Hope you feel better soon..!!
Post a Comment